March 04, 2013

Fracture, by Megan Miranda

Fracture (Fracture, #1)Fracture by Megan Miranda
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was on my way into the city last week to luxuriate in my friend's hotel room (sans children), when I realized I had NOTHING to read. So I popped into one of those awful, cramped bookstores at Penn Station and scoured the shelves for something that looked addictive--I wanted to consume, and be consumed, and generally wreck myself for the afternoon.

I found FRACTURE tucked away in the YA section, and I got exactly what I wanted.

This is the story of Delaney Maxwell, a teen whose near-death by drowning (in a frozen lake OMG) leaves her struggling to get by--both in her own mind, and in her interactions with her friends and family. Her neighbor/bestie Decker hovers, tortured by the fact that he played a role in her accident, while her family questions her mental health. Which only worsens as Delaney becomes haunted by strange new sensations, odd pullings deep in her mind that seem to draw her to the dying . . . which brings Troy into her life--a mysterious older boy who can somehow relate to what she's experiencing, and whose guidance she cannot help but seek--even when the answers turn dark.

It turns out that nearly dying isn't just hard on the person who nearly-dies, as Miranda shows us in this fascinating story about the mind, and love, and death. Overall, FRACTURE is a fantastic YA read with all of the right components: a shadowy mystery, a winding love story, and some incredible, heart-pounding action. Highly recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...