July 09, 2012

The Language of Flowers, Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of FlowersThe Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Did you know that a yellow rose can mean jealousy, or infidelity? Or that giving someone red roses can send a message other than love? In this gripping, tumultuous novel, you'll find not only the subtle meanings of flowers, but the tender story of Victoria and Grant.

Both are born of unfortunate pasts. Victoria struggles to accept friendship or affection after an isolating childhood in foster care and group homes. Grant, lost in the midst of a family battle, has given up on communicating with the world, and speaks through flowers instead.

I couldn't read their story fast enough. I'm not usually a sucker for heart-wringers, but this story is so genuine and absorbing that I could think of nothing else while reading. The themes are heavy, but handled delicately. The choices are polarizing, yet honest. I admire Diffenbaugh's incredible characters. They will not leave me for some time.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I loved this story! It was so complex and I think the author did such a great job of showing emotional issues of the characters.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...