August 19, 2012

These Days Are Ours, Michelle Haimoff

These Days Are OursThese Days Are Ours by Michelle Haimoff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've always felt contemporary novels have a tough task on their plates--without the action, adventure, or mystery of other genres, can they be captivating? These Days Are Ours certainly captured my attention, or to be more accurate, I should say the characters did.

This is the first novel I've read featuring modern-day, upper crust teens from the NYC scene, and I found the glimpse into their lives and attitudes fascinating. What DO financially independent young people do after college? How do they find who they are, or what to spend their time on, when they don't have to work out of necessity?

Haimoff explores these questions with humor and emotion; her characters struggle to find the answers, and in a post 9-11 world, those answers are never simple or easy to find.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Upper crust teens? Are they really privileged and annoying? It's not like en episode of the hills is it? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I know what you mean. And YES, they are totally annoying at moments. But in a way that seems true and revealing to me, and kept me fascinated rather than annoyed.

      Delete
  2. Is this considered YA? I'm looking for contemporary realistic - it's my genre, so I need good books to study. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julia :)
    It is definitely a contemporary realistic, and a fairly quick read. I think it qualifies as YA, although it would be interesting to see where it's shelved in the stores. I won a copy through Figment.com, and they primarily promote YA books.
    So check it out, it might be a great read for you! The dialogue is very good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...